I'm terribly excited for tomorrow's game. The flip side of that is that I'm also very nervous. Marshall looks to be the consummate "don't overlook" squad. They just played Virginia Tech, so they're unlikely to be quivering in their cleats, and their backs are against the wall after a disappointing start to the season. Like FIU, they thrive on big plays, and will be unafraid to take shots downfield to try and catch the Cards napping.
So tomorrow's game would seem to depend on the Cards mental fortitude. I had mixed emotions about hearing Charlie Strong and Greg Scruggs talk about how thankful they were for the bye, so the team could fully absorb the big win against UK before moving on. Frankly, I preferred Clint Hurtt's: "It was only UK, whatcha want a cookie?" approach.
There's a ton of football left to be played this season, so my fear is that getting the Gov Cup back blunts some of that edge we need to win each game; we're not good enough to coast to victories. I keep reminding myself that it was only a short three weeks ago that I walked out of Papa Johns with a pit in my stomach the size of a tangerine.
We shall know soon enough. This week, I think the Cards win on the strength of the defense. Teddy Bridgewater gets the start, but will remind everyone that even the most talented of freshman are freshman nonetheless. He'll finish the game with over 200 yards passing, two TDs (one rushing one passing) and two INTs. TB plays with enough poise and makes enough plays, however, to effectively end any QB controversy.
But the Cardinal defense rules the day. Marshall is again unable to run the ball through the Cards rejuvenated d-line, and QB Rakeem Cato is forced into precarious situations. The Louisville secondary licks its chops and eventually makes big breaks on the football. Cato throws 3 picks.
I predict a Louisville special teams TD and another fumble from either Jeremy Wright or Vic Anderson. It won't be perfect, but it won't be overly nerve wracking either. Cards win 31-17. Player of the game? Adrian Bushell.
- ► 2012 (383)
Sep 25 - Oct 2
- Strong postgame
- CJ video of Bridgewater touchdown
- Charlie's still in the locker room
- Louisville blows lead when Teddy throws two late I...
- Trace Adkins trivia
- ...and predictions
- More Marshall connections; Strong and Holliday
- Predictions, predictions...
- Forecast: Sunny, brisk, 100% chance of drunkenness...
- Friday happenings
- Bridgewater might be go for first start
- KSR just getting dumb
- Navy/Air Force > Syracuse/Pitt
- Follow CL on twitter
- The Rakeem Cato, T.Y. Hilton connection
- Cardinal quirks on display on Saturday
- Writing off the Big East
- Easssy, Rick
- Enemy Dossier: Omar Brown
- The Onion nails it...
- "It just felt right to me."
- Steve Bartman and Whistle Guy
- Enemy Dossier: Rakeem Cato
- Marshall rushing attack; The Thundering Turd
- Rick Pitino on Big East; right idea, wrong teams
- Thoughts on the weekend, Strong presser, Big 12, t...
- When you talk about Charlie Strong, you talk about...
- ▼ Sep 25 - Oct 2 (28)
- ► 2010 (751)
- ► 2009 (614)
About the Bloggers
Mr. Red is also known as Timothy Johnstone. He is a graduate of the University of Louisville.
Mr. Black is also known as Christopher Cunningham. He is a graduate of the University of Louisville.
CliffySmalls is also known as Cliff Elliott. He is a graduate of the University of Louisville.